Monday, June 14, 2010

Batman and Mr. Terrific



The Michael Holt Mr. Terrific is one of my favorite versions of a legacy character at DC. I really enjoyed his introduction in the excellent Spectre series by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake and was disappointed when the character looked to languish in comics limbo when that run ended. Fortunately Geoff Johns and James Robinson decided to use him the the newly revamped JSA and his popularity and exposure have risen since.

I always got a kick out of his predecessor, Terry Sloane, as well. I remember being truly shocked when the killed him off in an issue of Justice League of America - that was back when comic hero deaths were rare and permanent. I am glad I came up with a cover concept to use them both.

6 comments:

Mike Bolger said...

Here’s a suggestion that I think you could have a lot of fun with –

Batman and Burning Man

I’m thinking Batman from Brave and the Bold # 102 era where he’s walking around in broad daylight. The Batman digs this day. That issue mind warped a young Grant Morrison.

Burning Man made an appearance in X-Force # 75 under some kind of stupid alias, but outside of that has not really been featured in comics very much. There was a great Superman and Burning Man mash-up over here

http://laughingsquid.com/can-superman-save-burning-man/

I think you could have a lot of fun with that one.

Ross said...

That's probably the most off beat suggestion yet, and that's saying something!

Mike Bolger said...

I know. Like will it be Batman fighting Burning Man like they did in X-Force # 75. It always bugged me that they got the head wrong.

Or will it be Batman on acid

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2007/01/batman-on-acid.html

Freaking out at Burning Man?

Hmmm....

Randy said...

Batman and my favorite Golden Age DC character. I always felt Roy Thomas missed the boat post-Crisis. Mr. Terrific would have been perfect to fill in the void left by the Disappearance of the Earth-2 Batman.

Ross said...

Good idea - it sure would have worked better than The Flying Fox!

Glenn said...

This is a great cover.
I agree with you on that Randy. Maybe Roy Thomas did not think he fit since it was supposed to be "Young All-Stars". You also will notice he was trying very hard to expand away from the white Anglo-Saxon heroes.

I do no know however what tag PLANETARY has to do with this cover however.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!