Monday, December 13, 2010

The Thing and Captain Atom



I was introduced to Captain Atom when he was brought over with the other Charlton heroes in Crisis on Infinite Earths. I followed him through his solo series and membership in the JLI was bummed when the rumor spread that he was going to be the character who turned evil in the Armageddon 2001 series. When word got out, the mystery villain was changed to Hawk - which bothered me as well, because I liked him as well. Oh well, they are both back and on the right side of the law these day. In comics, if you wait long enough, everything comes around again.

It looks like some interesting things have been happening with Captain Atom lately in the Justice League: Generation Lost series. I had been waiting to hear some reviews before deciding to get this in trade, maybe I'll have to check it out. How about the Ditko version? Is that worth reading and are there collections out?

4 comments:

Franklin said...

DC published two volumes of Action Heroes Archives that contain all of Ditko's Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and The Question stories.

Cathy and Dave said...

The Charlton Heroes "spinning" out of COIE was brilliance!

Unfortunately, The L.A.W. mini-series awhile back was lame, and Captain Atom's Quantum Leap through the (now defunct) Wildstorm Universe was a convoluted, muddy mess. I'm still wondering what the point of it was. And I like Captain Atom and Planetary...

Ben Grimm's a pilot...what branch of the military is Captain Adam from? Army? Air Force?

Rick L. Phillips said...

Any of the Charlton stories by Ditko on those like the Captain, Blue Beetle or the Question are worth a read. They did put out a few in hardcover called Action Heroes but I only saw them on line and not at any comic shop.

Mike Mitchell said...

I think they are worth reading... but they are not 100% Ditk0's best work. Nevertheless, I am rereading them right now (well, reading what I've got on hand, which is only a handful of titles reprinted in the 1970s & 1980s) and am enjoying them a lot.

http://mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com/

Support STF: The Lost Issues!