Friday, December 3, 2010

The Thing and Concrete



As soon as I decided to do some MTIO covers, this team-up was a no-brainer. It would make a fun story too, because the two characters could not be more different beyond the initial visual impression.

I had heard good thing's about Paul Chadwick's Concrete for a long time, so I picked up a copy of Concrete: The Complete Short Stories, and was absolutely floored. The artwork was beautiful, especially when depicting what Concrete sees with his enhanced vision. The stories were all very thought provoking, too. I must have read that whole TPB in one sitting, and I soon acquired all of Concrete's other appearances. I haven't seen a new mini-series in a couple of years though - I really hope that another is forthcoming soon. Concrete is one of those comics that I like to give to my non-comic reading friends to try.

13 comments:

John R. Platt said...

Awesome!

A new Concrete series was just announced. It can't come soon enough.

The Bouv said...

I love the story title you came up with for this. Great job!

diana green said...

Perfect. I've been a Chadwick fan for ages and have often made this comparison in my Comic Book History course! Well done!

dicecipher said...

This is a such a natural crossover. Here is a nice little interview with Paul Chadwick.

dicecipher said...

Oops forgot the damn link
http://www.guerrillageek.com/2010/11/interview-paul-chadwick/

Michael Jones said...

Great work! If only this team up could happen in the real world.

Cathy and Dave said...

Wait-what?

You mean this ISN'T the REAL world? I was hoping to see Michael Chiklis as both The Thing AND Concrete! :)

It is a real shame that there are fewer and fewer inter-company crossovers.

Rol said...

I'd kill to see this comic for real!

SmearySoapboxPress said...

This is awesome, and maybe even my new favorite! You really did capture their very different characters in just a few lines!

- dale.

Paul Chadwick said...

Just discovered you. These are all amazingly well done!

The only other Thing/Concrete meeting I recall seeing was in Amazing Heroes, and had the two playing chess.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ross said...

Thank you, Paul. I have a Batman/Concrete cover in here as well. I was very glad to see that Concrete is returning with new stories in DHP, can't wait to read them!

k4f said...

I can't afford today's comics (some of which are pretty mediocre anyway) so I've been buying used classics for bedside reading. I was wondering what I'd do after I finish Jeff Smith's BONE saga (happily only half read) and Concrete: The Complete Short Stories looks like a natural! I just snagged a nice cheap copy of it from an Amazon seller. : )

Anonymous said...

Technically The Thing has an exoskeleton, not a body, made of stone(?).

Support STF: The Lost Issues!