Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Thing and Green Lantern (John Stewart)



I remember when I first encountered John Stewart, it was in a Christmas-themed issue of Justice League of America. Hal Jordan was out of commission (from slipping on soap in the bathtub!), so Stewart was called upon to take his place. Nowadays stand-in and replacement heroes are very common, but back then it was something very rarely seen, and I thought it was just the coolest concept. I dug the character and was a bit disappointed that he made only sporadic appearances in the years that followed. So when he fully took over the role and became the headliner in the main Green Lantern title, I thought it was great, despite being a Hal fan. I was even happier that upon Hal's return to the role, John Stewart did not fade into the background as he did before. I enjoyed his short lived solo title, Green Lantern: Mosaic and I did not like it one bit when they killed off his love interest, Katma Tui. These days, with his animated appearances John has almost as much recognition as Hal and with three ongoing GL titles, there's plenty of space to include him. Hopefully the GL movie will spawn a sequel and we will see a live action John Stewart grace the screen in a few years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, any chance we'll see a parts 3 & 4 with Kyle Rayner and and Guy Gardner? ;) -Mea

Ross said...

This was only a 2-parter, but Guy will be here before you know it. I like Kyle too, so I'm sure I will eventually get to him as well.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!