Monday, February 28, 2011

The Thing and Nightwing



I remember when Dick Grayson dropped the Robin identity in favor of Nightwing in the pages of New Teen Titans, and as radical a move as it was (especially for the time), it made complete sense to me given Marv Wolfman's deft characterization throughout that series. Soon enough, there were new Robins hitting the scene and it was clear that Nightwing was no phase, but the permanent status quo for Grayson. That it, until a couple of years ago when he took on the Batman mantle from the missing Bruce Wayne. It was fun seeing Grayson in the title role for a while, but now that the original Batman is back, I wonder what will become of him. Sure he is operating as Batman simultaneously as Bruce, but how long can that last? If he goes back to being Nightwing it might look like a demotion at this point. Wally West is facing similar issues now that Barry Allen has returned. The upcoming Flashpoint event is going to be playing with shifting timelines... I wonder if DC will use it as a way to somehow de-age West and Grayson and get them back to their original sidekick status?

2 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

I was hooked on the Wolfman & Perez Titans; I remember how George Perez made each reaction by the other Titans to Dick and Wally quitting unique and individual.

That was a huge, memorable run! Wally and Dick quit and then everything built up to The Judas Contract.

It seemed like the natural thing for them to move on, the same with Garth, Donna and Roy...but, now...not so much...

Anonymous said...

"I wonder if DC will use it as a way to somehow de-age West and Grayson and get them back to their original sidekick status? "

Gads, I hope not. I liked how Dick turned out, first as Nightwing then as Batman. While I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him return to the Nightwing role, I would be upset if they made him a sidekick again. THAT would be a major step down.

And I liked Wally as the Flash. Bringing Barry back after all this time sees kind of counter-intuitive.

[sigh] I will never understand business.

-Mea

Support STF: The Lost Issues!