Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Thing and Rocky



Consider this cover to be the undercard to Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali. Rocky is one of those movies that never gets old for me, I can watch it over and over. Between the great characters that Sylvester Stallone created, the rousing music, and all the memorable lines and scenes, it really earns it's place as perhaps the best sports movie ever made. I enjoyed the sequels, too - especially II and III, and I have to admit that Rocky Balboa was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. In this age of movie reboots, it's nice to have one franchise that has featured the same cast throughout multiple decades.

7 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Say what you want about Stallone - between Rocky and Rambo he'sa genius! My favorite Stallone movie is that mountain climbing one he did.

I'm embarassed to say I have never read Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali! Iconic comic that it is...It's never been reprinted has it? Bummer!

Ross said...

I saw a nice new recolored edition solicited not long ago.

pblfsda said...

I'm positive that Rocky came from an early 1980's MAD magazine. Was it Norman Mingo?

Ross said...

Not sure of the artist, but I did get that from a Mad cover.

Cathy and Dave said...

Thanks, Ross! I'll have to track a copy down!

Mad magazine is great! Mad's movie and TV show parodies are outrageous! Especially the musical versions! The ones I remember are the Raiders of the Lost Ark musical version...and the Adam West Batman Tv show parodies...

wordsmith said...

The artist is Jack Rickard, from the cover of Mad #194, October of 1977.

pblfsda said...

1977? That must have been for a parody of the first "Rocky" movie. Probably Mort Drucker interiors. I should dig that out; since it's before 1980, I might have it. Thanks.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!