Friday, March 18, 2011

The Thing and Sgt. Rock



I was mostly a superhero fan as a kid, so I only read a few war comics here and there... but I was still a big fan of Sgt. Rock due to his guest appearances in The Brave and the Bold. It wasn't until I was older and decided to check out the Sgt. Rock Showcase volumes for the Joe Kubert art that I started to get into his solo stories. Now these are tales that will put hair on your chest! Full of heroism and sacrifice, the stories of Easy Company always centered around Rock's will to never give up fighting, no matter what the odds. I am happy that Rock is a character that Kubert has decided to return to every once in a while, and I enjoyed the serial that ran in Wednesday Comics a few years back. Kubert on Sgt. Rock is just about as good as comic art gets, for me. No other artist has been able to capture the character in quite the same way.

1 comment:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

The Brave and the Bold with The Golden-Age Batman and Sgt. Rock was one of my favorite issues!

I can see an eight-page back-up story in this issue: The Thing, Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery in The Rock II: Welcome Back To The Rock!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!