Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Thing and The Beatles



I have an appreciation for all types of music, but for me, The Beatles are hands down the greatest band in history. My older siblings were very much into the Beatles, so there was never a time I was not exposed to their music. It's amazing to me how many different musical styles they went through in their relatively short career together. I quite enjoy their solo works as well, but there was something extra special when they all got together.

I remember seeing Yellow Submarine when I was very young, and it freaked me out at the time. I found the giant hand and the Apple Bonker guys to be pretty scary! It would be many many years before I would watch it again and gain a whole new appreciation for it. There are a lot of truly inventive sequences in there, not to mention the fantastic music. I heard that the recently discussed CGI remake of this film has been cancelled, and that's probably a good thing. I doubt any new version could really improve upon the original.

6 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Sometime during high school one of the local UHF channels started running The Beatles cartoon. Awesome! Although every other word out of the Fab Four was "Blimey! It's time for another commercial!"

I have co-workers at the radio station that like to debate what artists have come close to what The Beatles did; there hasn't been a band since that has really left as big a mark.

diana green said...

You know, the Torch and The Thing DID meet the Beatles in an issue of Strange Tales!
http://marvel.wikia.com/Comics:Strange_Tales_Vol_1_130

Lee Houston, Junior said...

Ross:
When you go back to Brave and the Bold/Batman team ups, can the Caped Crusader meet the Beatles too?

Ross said...

Who can forget Ben in a Beatles wig from that cover, Diana!

Lee, I'll try, but it was hard enough coming up with one Fab Four cover!

Anonymous said...

I love it - How about the Beatles hook up with Swamp Thing and eat one of his psychedelic tubers! Could be a whole new album!

Lee Houston, Junior said...

Ross:
I just thought considering how "dark" Batman has been portrayed over the last couple of decades, it would be an interesting matchup, given the Beatles comments to Ben on your M2in1 cover.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!