Monday, May 2, 2011

The Thing and Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)



I was among the many Ted Kord fans that was not happy when the Blue Beetle was killed off to kick off a DC Comics crossover. Despite that, I decided to give his replacement, Jaime Reyes, a chance and I have to admit that I do like the character quite a bit. I really loved the look of the new Beetle armor that Cully Hamner designed - it really makes him stand out among the rest of their heroes - and Jaime was written with an appealing personality. I even got a kick out of his appearances on the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon (not so much the recent Smallville appearance - the armor was way too clunky). This new Blue Beetle is definitely a welcome new presence in the DCU. That said, there was no reason he could not have been introduced while still keeping Ted Kord alive as well!

2 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

*sigh*
I still like Ted Kord. I was first introduced to him in Crisis on Infinite Earths. I read a few issues of his title afterward and they were pretty cool. Bummer that it got cancelled...

I never followed the Blue & Gold team.

Now, Jaime is a pretty cool character, too. I blame economics, not any other reason for not following his book. I liked his Batman: The Brave and The Bold appearances, too. If that was anything like his book, I'm surprised the book got cancelled - especially since his profile has picked up so much with Smallville and his own series...

Rick L. Phillips said...

Well said Ross. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!