Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Batman and Hawkeye (Retro)



I like the casting choice of Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in the upcoming Avengers movie (he also made a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo in Thor.  He is a great actor and has the ability to portray that rebellious streak that is so important to the character.  My one reservation is the fact that they decided to go with his Ultimate costume rather than the one he wears in the mainstream Marvel universe.  I realize the classic purple togs and mask might be more difficult to translate into live action, but the ultimate look is just so boring and generic.  I would have liked for them to at least try to find some sort of happy medium between the two.  Oh well, it's a small complaint and I am sure that it won't be enough to dampen my enjoyment of the film, which is looking epic so far from the filming footage that has been released.

3 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Very cool cover! I am amazed every day by the team-ups you come up with! Brilliant!

Hawkeye is one of my favorite characters - but, man that costume! The Ultimates Hawkeye costume may be flat, but I'll take it if it's what gets the archer some screen time!

pblfsda said...

I might be alone in this, but I like the short-lived Barry Smith neo-Native American design that Clint used when he gave up being Goliath after the Kree/Skrull War. The purple suit was a variation on his old carnival act and the bare-chest-with-leather-strap outfit he wore as Goliath was something Pym was going to wear before he decided to remain Yellowjacket. The "Last of the Mohicans" costume that Smith came up with was the first one actually tailored to his name. I'm guessing that after Smith left, other artists found the details annoying to reproduce, panel after panel. But in a movie, you only have to make two or three copies of a costume.

Mike D. said...

perfect ...and Allreds style is complementary to the era.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!