Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Adam Strange and The Silver Surfer



This cover features two of my favorite artists.  Jose Luis Garcia Lopez has  been my favorite Superman artist since I first saw him take on the character in the early issues of DC Comics Presents (which is where I got the main image for this cover from).  He isn't just great on Superman, though.  It's no wonder that DC used his work for their style guides and so much advertising.  John Buscema was a god to me once I got a copy of How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way.  I absolutely loved that book. It was my introduction to the mechanics of producing comics, which made me only enjoy the hobby more.

6 comments:

John R. Platt said...

That Adam Strange drawing is from one of my all-time favorite comic-book covers!

Champion City Comics said...

I loved the cover. I am a huge Silver Surfer fan and was excited to see him in a team-up.

Rip Jagger said...

When I saw this one my first thought was just what you discussed, not that Surfer and Strange were together, but that Big John Buscema and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez were teamed up. Outstanding!

Garcia-Lopez is the most underrated talent of his generation hands down. When I consider the simply awful artists who have been given superstar status and yet a massive talent like Garcia-Lopez remains relatively unknown it's truly a shame.

Rip Off

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

That is one sweet cover. I remember that issue of DC Comics Presents well!

It IS kind of a bummer that Garcia-Lopez isn't a bigger name. Bigger than some other names, like Leifeld. I would rather see artwork in Hawkman and Grifter by Garcia-Lopez. Or any where in the New 52.

Erik said...

I think because Garcia-Lopez did most of his art on lesser known comics, and then spent the most part of the 80's working on the style guide (instead of getting to eventually work in the public on the hotter titles), he is one of the cult faves of fans like us.

But I'll spend hours looking at his covers as well as his Jonah Hex, Deadman (from Adventure), Atari Force, Twilight and DC Comics Presents work...

macsnafu said...

I know this is an old post, but I had to chime in with the others and say how much I loved J.L. Garcia-Lopez's artwork! Those early DC Comics Presents issues were where I learned who he was.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!