Friday, May 18, 2012

Justice League of America and Stan Lee



One of my favorite things about watching a movie based on a Marvel property is seeing how the director manages to fit in a Stan Lee cameo.  Stan usually gets in a good one liner or reaction shot. My favorite by far was his role as Willie Lumpkin the Mail Man in the first Fantastic Four film.  In a film that certainly had its share of flaws, that little moment was perfect!  Hmmm, maybe it would have been fun to have Stan as one of the shadowed figures that Nick Fury was taking orders from in The Avengers.

George Perez had a short but fantastic run on Justice League of America.  As much as I loved his work on New Teen Titans, it always bummed me out that he left the title and never got a chance to return.  His JLA/Avengers was a nice tease of what could have been, but I would love for him to get another chance at the main title.

9 comments:

Googlyeyes said...

The only artist ranked higher than George Perez, IMHO, is Jim Aparo. Unfortunately, the coffee table compendium thats just been published for Jim Aparo isn't as good at Perez'. There's no commentary or early artwork, but I'm still happy I brought it. Both these artists, inked by Dick Giaordano, equals a HEAVENLY drawn issue for me.

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Awww, yeah! Stan "The Man" and the JLA!

I kept an eye out for Stan in The Avengers. Was he in the coffee shop near the end? I don't remember seeing him. It would have been cool if he was the guy that found Bruce Banner.

I wonder what Bill Bixby would think of all the renewed attention in The Hulk...

How about if Stan "The Man" and "The Main Man" teamed up?

Anonymous said...

Stan was featured in a news segment toward the end talking about how super heroes in New York was a preposterous idea.

Neil Robertson said...

Love it. I have to admit, I hope you choose, at some point in the future, to do something similar with Julius Schwartz. While he's not as world-renowned as Stan, any DC fan of the 60s into the 80s got plenty of chances to see Julie appear in the DC stories, even as recently as just before Flashpoint in one of the DC Retroactive JLAs. He was DC's Goodwill Ambassador for years!

Anonymous said...

ross how bout more marvels new universe characters such as justice meets judge dredd or psi-force meets capt planet or power rangers or sentry vs star brand

Ross said...

I didn't realize there were still New Universe fans out there! Star Brand is the only one I have any knowledge of, I skipped that line back in the day.

Super Stariors said...

Marvel's New Universe? Good Golly, that's an unfortunate blast from the '80s past! I may have actually brought an issue of Justice or Psi-Force on a rainy saturday afternoon when absolutely nothing else looked good on the newsstand's spinning rack, and I had a dollar & change burning a hole in my pocket. So yeah, for old time's sake, how about Ross?

pblfsda said...

You don't suppose those alien races are mistaking Stan for Funky Flashman?

Carycomic said...

@pblfsda: Less a mistake; more likely Mystique.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!