Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lex Luthor and Dr. Doom



It seems that the role of Lex Luthor will be a key one in the upcoming Superman/Batman movie, as casting possibilities are already starting to surface.  The two names at the top of the pack both sound very interesting to me:  Mark Strong and Bryan Cranston.  Strong definitely looks the part, and is known for playing arch villains in movies like Kick-AssSherlock Holmes... and Green Lantern.  That last film is a sticking point - will DC want the same actor as Sinestro to play Luthor?  Even though the GL movie was not the success they had hoped,  Strong was one of the best parts of it and it would be a shame to completely close the door on seeing a full-fledged Sinestro return some day.  At 57, some may think Cranston to be a bit old to play Lex Luthor, but I think he is such a great actor that I could overlook that.  Breaking Bad has shown us that he truly knows how to convey intellectual menace and ambition-driven men, so I think he would be amazing in the role.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoaaaaaa! This is another team-up thats long overdue, Ross!!

Invisible Throne said...

My fan loyalty to Breaking Bad has me rooting for Bryan Cranston to get the role of Lex. Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, Strong was powerful in the first film, but the actor who played Prof. Moriarty in the sequel was even more chilling. I think Downey Jr.'s performance in the Sherlock Holmes films have been vastly superior over his work in Iron Man (of which I have grown quite tired of). I truly hope there will be a third one.

Bob Greenwade said...

I think Bryan Cranston would rock the role of Lex Luthor. Plus, with his sense of humor, he'd keep the set loose and happy and the cast well-bonded, which is extremely important for any creative endeavor. (I don't know about Mark Strong on that score one way or the other.)

On the other hand, Luthor is one of the few comics characters who I think could withstand a race change in movies. Michael Clark Duncan did fairly well as Kingpin in the Daredevil movie, but I think Luthor could be carried very well by Avery Brooks.

As for the cover here, I must say it's another well-crafted mashup both visually and story-wise.

Anonymous said...

Add my vote for Cranston playing Lex! Breaking Lex! Nobody does sly, coiling evil and menace like that guy. Hell, he's been playing Lex for years, in a way.
It also would have been nice to get a younger Jimmy Caan to play Norman Osborne.

eriknoir said...

Anonymous, I agree with you, a team-up of Dr. Doom and Lex Luthor I always wanted to see against Superman/Fantastic Four and/or Spider-man! Better yet against The Avengers and The Justice League. Also, I would prefer to see Luthor in his Lexorian Warsuit in a team-up with Dr. Doom. DC & Marvel, are you interested?

Support STF: The Lost Issues!