Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hourman and Spider-Man



There has been a lot of comic-related movie and TV announcements lately, and the one that surprised me most was that Hourman would be getting his own TV series.  I hadn't heard that this was even being discussed, but given the character's ability to gain super powers for 60 minutes at a time, he is kind of perfect for an hour-long show.  Unfortunately nothing I have read mentions his original power set, only the "time vision", where he can see an hour into the future, which was grafted onto later versions of the character.  No mention of a costume either, and I doubt that he will wind up looking like any incarnation of Hourman from the comics.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I have a feeling that this will be one of those adaptations that keeps the name, a few trappings and little else from the source material.

2 comments:

Bob Greenwade said...

An adaptation that keeps the name, a few trappings, and little else? "Catwoman," anyone? Or "Barb Wire"?

One thing I really liked about the early Hourman tales is how, once he took the Miraclo pill, a timer would be put into one corner of each panel showing how much time was left. This gimmick could easily be adapted into a TV format, jumping the timer forward when there's an abrupt passage of time (such as using his Miraclo powers to run across town, or if he's knocked unconscious for several minutes).

AirDave said...

Well, know this is an offbeat team-up!

With "24", I'm surprised no one thought of this before.

I've come to realize that no matter how cool Rex Tyler's alter ego is, it seems to promote chemical dependence. He takes a pill and has super-strength for sixty minutes. And we try to talk kids and people out of taking drugs. It's easy to see where there might be a misunderstanding. Just like Elongated Man and his "drinking problem". Unlike Plastic Man, who got his powers through an accident, Ralph Dibney drinks and becomes super-powered.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Ralph and Rex.

I will totally understand if they tone down some of the old school powers. Hourman looks like it could fit into that Early Edition, Seven Days, Quantum Leap, Time Trax sort of genre, maybe?

Support STF: The Lost Issues!