Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hitman and Hellboy



DC Comics Bloodlines crossover event from 1993 was meant to introduce a bunch of new characters to their comics line, but only one wound up striking a chord with readers and sticking around.  At first I just saw Hitman as a Punisher rip off, and gave his series a pass.  I picked up a TBP of his first few issues a few years later and was glad I gave it another shot.  I found the stories to be funny and action filled and I loved the attitude of the main character, Tommy Monaghan.  I wound up picking up the rest of the series soon after. Sometimes I think Garth Ennis-penned stories can get a bit too violent and mean spirited, but with Hitman he hit just the right balance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think Hitman is one of Ennis' best, and McCrea's art was just a perfect fit. As much as it saddened me, it ended the only way it could.

Hellboy debuted about the same time as Hitman, and was another one of those pleasant surprises. I could so totally see them both going to Noonan's for drinks at some point.

You know, despite all the bad rep 90's comics had, there were some real classics that came out in that period.

-Mea

Bob Greenwade said...

It's kind of funny, but just yesterday I was contemplating a question that I was going to suggest for this site: what if Batman and the Thing (the two big mainstays here) needed help after all of the other heroes of their two respective Multiverses vanished? Hellboy was one who came to mind, along with Witchblade, X-O Manowar, and the Greatest American Hero. (I'd throw in M.A.N.T.I.S., but I don't think a comic was ever made from that TV show.)

testing thing said...

This would so much fun to read! How do we make this happen?

Support STF: The Lost Issues!