Saturday, April 19, 2014

Superman and Captain Marvel (...Where Monsters Dwell!)




One of the lessons I learned from reading How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan lee and John Buscema was to select the most dynamic poses to depict action on the printed page.  Gil Kane was an artist who really illustrated this point for me.  whatever his characters were doing, there was an unmistakable sense of power that his figures provided.  It's no wonder that he became my all time favorite Marvel cover artist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to read this comic. Totally agree about Gil Kane, he was one of the best. One of my favorites he did was Sword of the Atom.

Mark said...

So it's not Kal-El and Marv-El?

AirDave said...

The only thing this story would need is a cameo by Mon-El! HA-HA-HA!

Gil Kane is an awesome artist. I think his "fit" for me was Green Lantern.

pblfsda said...

John Buscema was definitely good at "the most dynamic poses" but Gil Kane really lived them. His characters couldn't react to a doorbell ringing without bending their arms at the elbows and giving the readers a clear shot up their nostrils.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!