Saturday, October 17, 2015

Man-Bat and Ghost Rider



I remember watching Super Friends and the Filmation Batman cartoons as a kid, it was cool to see one of my favorite superheroes on the screen, but I always wanted more.  As I grew older and was exposed to some more adult cartoons from Japan end elsewhere, I wondered why a Batman cartoon could not be produced  with those sensibilities.  Finally, Batman: The Animated Series was announced and it sounded like just what I had been waiting for.  Boy was I right.  I can still clearly remember watching the premiere episode, "On Leather Wings".  Not only did it show a Batman miles closer to the comics than any other attempt, it featured Man-Bat, a character that never would have shown up on earlier incarnations.  I was hooked, and that first episode still remains a favorite.

6 comments:

AirDave said...

I know what you mean! The Batman '66 comic has been introducing some of the great rogues like Poison Ivy, Clayface, The Scarecrow, Killer Croc and in the latest digital issue: Killer Moth! Yeah, it's a bummer they didn't make it into live action, and it's a shame that it took almost 50 years for the show to be popular again...but I'll still take it.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, Ross. "On Leather Wings" is my favorite episode from the WBat-cartoon, too. Well, actually, my second favorite...next to to "Zatanna." ;-)

Unknown said...

Man-Bat is a favorite of mine too. His debut came right around the time I started buying comics. I even thought the variation of the character they did in the animated movie "Gods and Monsters" was pretty cool.

Guven their similar origins, I wonder how Man Bat and Morbius would get along.

Ross said...

If you check the archives, you will find a couple of Man-Bat/Morbius covers.

Sonofjack said...

My first exposure to Man-Bat was as a hero, so I always thought of him and preferred him that way...

Regarding the various animated Batman incarnations, I too like Batman: TAS, but my favorite would have to be Batman:The Brave and the Bold!

Anonymous said...

There was one certain issue of the BTAS spin-off comic from DC that I absolutely loved! It was evidently meant to be a tribute to the old "monster mashes" produced by Universal, after WWII, because it featured Man-Bat, Tygrus (the genetically engineered Homo felis), and Tony Romulus (the genetically engineered werewolf). And, the title?


"House of Dorian." :-)

Support STF: The Lost Issues!